The construction of the Highway 55/62 interchange threatened Coldwater Spring. To save it a liner was built under the interchange to allow the water to flow beneath it and keep the road dry. Click below to see pictures a how it was done.
[It is] a situation which is extremely salubrious, and where they will remain until the permanent works [Fort St. Anthony, later Fort Snelling] are completed upon the bluff at the junction of the two rivers.
Henry Schoolcraft - July 29, 1820
"On the grassy slope, near the house, is a small stone building, covering a spring, from which the water gushes forth, clear and cold, in sufficient quantities to form quite a large rivulet, which flows into the ravine below."
E.S. Seymour - 1849
It is a healthy situation, about 200 feet above the river, and the water gushing out of a lime stone rock is excellent. It is called "Camp Cold Water.
James Duane Doty- July 31, 1820
...the water supply at Fort Snelling....The first consideration of importance is as to the quality of the water.
Chief Engineers Office - June 1880
Coldwater Spring property was transfered to the National Park Service